In simple words, DevOps practice will streamline the development process to automatically build, test, deploy and monitor Along with a collaboration platform for the application. So, DevOps in Cloud is a different story but easy to implement the DevOps framework including the collaboration platform. One of the leading cloud computing service providers in Azure which is widely used. So, in this article, we will discuss Introduction to Azure DevOps and Azure services available for implementing DevOps framework.
Table of Contents
Before starting to the Introduction to Azure DevOps, Let’s recall what are the typical DevOps lifecycle and tools that are involving in implementing DevOps framework. So that we can compare what service is fulfilling which part of DevOps framework.
Azure DevOps service provides development team to plan, develop, Integrate and Build, Package, Test, Release, Configure/operate and Monitor their work with the right set of service and DevOps tools integration.
Let’s discuss each stage of DevOps and the Azure service that helps implement the DevOps here.
- Planning: Azure Board is a set of Agile Tools which helps us to Plan & track the work, defects, issues using Kanban and Scrum Master.
- Develop: To support development workstation, Tools like Azure Repo and other Version Control System integrations are available in Azure DevOps.
- Integration/Build: Azure provides DevOps service with Azure Pipeline and other Build apps which support almost all the available platforms.
- Package: Artifactory repository and Artifactory management is another important aspect of DevOps. So, Azure DevOps offers Artifact which is to store and manage build artifacts and well integrates with other Azure DevOps tools.
- Testing: As we know well, Testing is another important stage of the DevOps process. So, Azure DevOps offers Testing tools which have Manual/Automated and Continuous testing.
- Release: SoftwareRelease is another critical stage of DevOps. Azure DevOps provides Release of software with Pipeline and other deployment application to Cloud VMs/ Azure DevOps Servers.
- Configure/Operate: Provisioning, Maintaining, and Configuring the Infrastructure is another important aspect of DevOps. So as This platform offers multiple services which satisfy the Infrastructure automation and configuration management solutions.
- Monitor: Monitoring and Feedback in Azure helps Development process works seamless and self-healing Applications.
Azure DevOps Services
As we already discussed, Combination of Azure DevOps services will completely allow you to stick with Azure and take off the dependency of building private DevOps solution. We have following Azure DevOps services which will let you build the matured DevOps framework. This Platform is available in On-Premise version too, which is called Azure Server (Earlier called as TFS).
As we already discussed, Azure Board will allow us to Plan and Track the Issue, Code defect, tasks, Features and more. Azure board can be called as ALM tool and Just like any other ALM tool Azure Board will have the facility to create workflows, Issue types, and many other components of ALM.
This can also be creased as Kanban project or Scrum project, where we can completely customize the workflow, work items, and other components in terms of our requirements.
Collaboration is another Major aspect of DevOps, so as, Azure Board has this feature to integrate Active Directory or any user directory which will enable stakeholders to follow, discuss, enable personal notifications on work items and add to personal Dashboard.
Azure Board can be integrated with all the popular Version Control Systems like GitHub, BitBucket, GitLabs and more. Azure Board can also be integrated with many other tools.
Azure Repos is the place where we can store and manage the versions of our Codebase. Basically, Azure Repos has multiple Version control tools for our options. So, Azure Repos provides two different types of Version Control Systems
- Distributed Version Control (GIT)
- Centralized Version Control System (TFVC)
Along with these functions, Code Reviewing workflow, and other typical Version Management functionalities are available.
Delivery Pipeline is another important aspect of Automation for DevOps. Azure Pipeline allows us to create automated flow for build, test and deploy on the targets. So, Azure Pipeline is the combination of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
Azure Artifacts can store multiple types of built files and it introduces the new concept of storing packages called “Multiple Feed” which will allow us to organize and control access to created packages.
This Azure Artifact service supports NuGet, NPM, Maven, Python, and many other package types. A unique concept called Immutability is used in Azure Artifacts. Meaning, the package version is unique, and it will not accept the same version of the package.
Azure Test Plans
Azure Test Plans provides advanced test management solution for Manual Testing, UAT Testing, Exploratory Testing, and Stakeholder feedback. which is having the following stages in Manual Testing is Test planning, Test Authoring, Testing Applications, and Test Tracking.
These are giving proper test management facility for UAT. Then, Exploratory testing process in Test Plans are happening in three steps called Capture your findings, create work items and Collaborate with your team. Then, stakeholder feedback is another convinent feedback management system for finding and collecting feedback from stakeholders.
Other Azure services for DevOps
Apart from the above dedicated Azure DevOps Services, Following are the other Azure services and options that will help complete the entire DevOps framework. Such as
- The Azure Servers – Install, Manage, Patch and Upgrade process.
- Azure Reporting – To have a Dashboard, BI integration, and Analytics data for DevOps.
- Azure Monitor – Monitoring is another important aspect of DevOps. Even though Monitoring is not explicitly available in Azure DevOps, we can acquire the service and utilize it for Implementing DevOps Framework.
In this Introduction to Azure DevOps article, we have discussed various Azure DevOps services. So, In our upcoming articles, we will see the tutorials and manuals for Azure DevOps services.
Azure platforms are widely used in the Software Development process. So, This Platform helps the organization which is already using Azure and make the SLA easy. In this Article, we have discussed the Introduction to Azure DevOps. In our upcoming articles, we will discuss more every services and tutorial of Azure DevOps. Stay tuned and subscribe DigitalVarys for more articles and study materials on DevOps, Agile, DevSecOps and App Development.
Experienced DevSecOps Practitioner, Tech Blogger, Expertise in Designing Solutions in Public and Private Cloud. Opensource Community Contributor.