The Content Management System is the platform to Create, Update, Delete and Manage the Web contents and digital contents. Mostly, Content Management Systems are used for Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and Web Content Management (WCM) where ECM is can be used for Document management, Digital asset management and more. While, WCM is used for Website contents like photo, video, audio, Source code, and documents. In the market, we have many CMS products available with way different features. So, in this article, we will discuss Top Content Management Systems (CMS) Platforms available in the digital market.
Factors of Good CMS.
Top CMS Platforms
WordPress is one of the best commercial and Enterprise CMS platform. It offers two main services. One is wordpress.org which is like a free blogging platform with its own social media options. Another is wordpress.com which is hosting platform with your own domain name.
- Highly flexible.
- No Technical Skill Required
- Vast Plug-ins and Add-ons availability
- Huge Community of users.
- High-level customization with coding is not possible.
- Should promptly update the platform
Drupal is another popular free opensource CMS platform. Which can be used for both commercial and Enterprise CMS platforms. It is popular for vast plugin and addons. Drupal Core is the standard release of Drupal which includes the basic functionality of the CMS platform.
- Free open source Platform
- High speed compared to other CMS as it has a built-in cache system.
- A Vast set of Addons and Plugins
- Huge Community of users.
- Professional construction systems make difficult usage.
- High system specification is required which makes costly hosting.
- Module Installations needs FTP which makes managing Addon and Plugins difficult.
Joomla is another most popular Free and Opensource CMS platform. Joomla is very famous for its 8000+ free and commercial Extension to make the advanced websites. Joomla is 4th most used CMS Platform after WordPress and Drupal.
- Joomla can be used without any technical knowledge.
- Since it is Opensource, It has a big community to support.
- Vast Extensions makes Joomla run advanced e-commerce and other commercial websites easily.
- Joomla is a bit complex to use as compared to other top CMS platforms.
- Other than extensions, Themes and Plugins are very less.
- If you have different Extensions, some dependency and collusion issues might occur.
Weebly is one of the best WYSIWYG CMS platforms which makes it easy to make websites and CMS platforms. With a lot of Users and Community to contribute to support, Weebly makes pretty noticeable CMS platforms.
- Very easy to use the platform.
- A Lot of themes and customization options.
- Vast Addons and applications are available.
- Ease of creating a website gives limitations to complete freedom.
- Compare to other CMS platforms, Weebly is a little less SEO friendly
Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) is a popular CMS platform for the enterprise. It is completely customizable with Java programming. Although it required a lot of technical skills required, AEM is the most preferred CMS platform for enterprise in terms of Security and reliability.
- Enterprise features like Search, Cloud Integration, Traffic Handling and very good.
- WYSIWYG preview for your content.
- Integration with another platform is easy with vast API availability.
- Highly Technical and a lot of learning is required.
- A Lot of IT maintenance and Support required.
- Very costly and a lot of integrations required
Kentico is a CMS platform that mainly aims e-commerce and another online store like websites. This CMS platform built with ASP.NET and highly compatible with Microsoft Azure. It comes with Good SEO support and a lot of Open API support.
- Great Developer experience with .NET technology and APIs.
- Highly Customizable and extensible.
- Excellent technical support
- Complex User interface
- Bulky and big to install.
DotCMS is another Enterprise CMS system for developing complex websites for organizations. With powerful UI and APIs, Enterprise level workflow and websites can be easily built and managed. Integrations with popular CRM ERP and more e-commerce platforms are making this CMS platform more powerful.
- Different tools sets and Addons allow developers to make advanced websites.
- The Design of this platform aims for Enterprise level Websites.
- The Reasonable price compares to other platforms.
- Not recommended for a small organization
- Very few Built-in components Need Addons always.
IBM Enterprise Content Management is another popular Enterprise CMS Platform. It is suitable for the enterprise which has more than 100 employees. With the stack of other IBM tools and Software applications, IBM Enterprise Content Management makes Powerful and advanced Websites.
- provides robust out of the box tools for end-users
- It provides tools to design workflow with integration with core applications.
- IBM Tool stack makes all in one vendor advantage.
- Core modification or customization is difficult.
- Little High price range compares to other platforms.
- You need more other IBM tools to make powerful websites.
Microsoft SharePoint is the combination of both knowledge management and Content Management System. It has great features like Document, Digital asset, Case and Contract management, Reporting and analytical tools. Though SharePoint is famous for Knowledge management, It has very good features for website content management.
- Very easy Interface and navigations
- Great Access and Permission management
- Tons of Extension and Integrations available.
- Little learning is required as it has many features.
- Fit for Organizations, less recommended for small companies.
- Costly compared to other platforms.
Squarespace is good for professional websites. With high-quality templates, Addons and cheap pricing, Squarespace makes wonderful CMS platforms for the budget website.
- A Lot of Quality templates and themes are available.
- Cheap and value for money
- Good for Blogging and single page websites
- Difficulty in the use of website editor.
- The Performance of the Platform is lagging compared to other platforms.
Before selecting the CMS platforms, Consider the Factors of good CMS platforms. Also, whether it is free or commercial, we always have the choice to try the platform. Have a good idea of what service can CMS platform provides and choose from this Top Content Management System. In our upcoming article, we will discuss more on CMS and other software applications in detail. Stay tuned and subscribe DigitalVarys for more articles and study materials on DevOps, Agile, DevSecOps and App Development.
Experienced DevSecOps Practitioner, Tech Blogger, Expertise in Designing Solutions in Public and Private Cloud. Opensource Community Contributor.